Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sam Pope's No-Knead Rustic Rolls with cheese fondue/ fonduta




I keep purchasing fresh yeast from Pak'n'Save and then forgetting to use it before the expiry date (I've since learnt that you can freeze it).  I mentioned to Giffy that I had some fresh yeast and she kindly sent me a recipe from a cooking class she attended.

It was fun to make.  I like using my breadmaker but making an old fashioned loaf where you first activate the yeast then add it to the flour once activated is kind of satisfying.  This recipe makes a really nice loaf of bread or bread rolls.  I made it twice as the first loaf was kind of salty and I really wanted to proceed to the fonduta part of the recipe.  This is a great entertaining recipe - it is perfect for nibbles prior to a meal or as a hearty snack (I'd intended to make it for the World Cup final the other night).  I also think that it is a good first bread recipe for children as they can watch the science behind the yeast/ rising process.  It also doesn't require any more energetic kneading than a stir with a spoon.  The result?  Delicious yeasty smelling (but not too yeasty tasting) bread that is light and soft with a firm shell.

Giffy - if you are free this week I have enough cheese left to make one more generous serve of fonduta!

Sam Pope's No-Knead Rustic Rolls

50g fresh yeast (you can ask bakers/ supermarket bakeries for some).  It is a greyish block.  Crumble well.
1TBSP honey - I used clear honey (made locally by our nearby Iraqi kebab shop owner)
1/3cup warm water
500g Tipo OO flour (can purchase from Italian/ Mediterranean shops - otherwise use High Grade)
2TBSP Maldon Salt (flaky salt).  I found this too salty, I used 1.5 teaspoons in my second batch.
500ml milk (two cups)

Mix the fresh yeast, honey and warm water together in a small bowl and put in a warm place until frothy.

  • (You can omit the next step if you want - I tried it both ways and prefer to omit). Set aside about a cup of the flour.  Put the remaining flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Add the frothed yeast mixture and enough milk to make a wet mix (muffin mix consistency).  Combine with a wooden spoon, taking care not to overwork the mixture.
  • Sprinkle the reserved flour over the top of the mixture
  • Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place until more than doubled in size.
  • Spoon (the mixture will be wet) onto a well floured baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for 10-15 min (if making rolls) or 20-25 mins at 200C (if making one loaf) until brown.
I found that the mixture did not rise much when baked, but was still airy.

Fonduta

50g Provolone Dolce or Picante
50g Tallegia  (I got both cheeses from the Mediterranean Food Warehouse)
15ml shot of Grappa (or wine or beer).  I used white wine
Chives, finely chopped (optional - I had none)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional but I used about 2 TBSP)

Grate the provolone (I just chopped it) and cube the tallegio.  Put into an earthenware tapas dish/ large ramekin and pour over the alcohol.  Bake at 200C until melted and bubbling (about ten minutes).  Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with the chives.

I made a double batch for three adults as a pre-dinner snack.  It was sooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment