Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dispatching the first twenty grapefruit

I really want to get as many grapefruit processed as quickly as possible - I need my floor space back!  I figured the easiest way to do this was to start of making marmalade.  I quickly learnt that marmalade uses surprisingly few grapefruit to make a surprisingly huge volume of jam.  So the first four grapefruit, plus two lemons are chopped up and soaking.  I'm using the Edmond's cookbook recipe - there are billions out there to choose from.  I think I'm going to make another batch - but a bit more lemony and with some ginger - I think it will be lovely with chicken.

Next I decided to make Grapefruit Cordial.  I first had this at a friend's house, and she pointed out that the recipe came from Cuisine magazine.  This makes a really refreshing drink - perfect with sparkling water.  I made a double batch.  These grapefruit are super juicy - I stopped bothering with the juicer and just squeezed with my hands.  I used ten grapefruit for this recipe (couldn't get zest off a couple of them).  I think I'll be making another couple of batches as it is a great way to use them up, stores well in the fridge and has been one of my past Christmas gifts for friends and family.
 

One of the recipes I found requires juice - I'm going to make a grapefruit and mint vinaigrette.  But I don't need it know so decided to freeze blocks of juice.  With the skin I decided to create grapefruit peel - this was really fun.  I wanted something that I could just leave in the cupboard (as I suspect my freezer will soon house a lot of frozen juice).  The peel I will use in baking, and to decorate my planned grapefruit curd cupcakes.





I feel really bad about all the leftover grapefruit.  My worm farm doesn't take kindly to citrus, so it is all going in the bin.  Any ideas? 
The first twenty are done.  And I've got a friend who is keen for some.  Lets see how quickly I am inspired to do something with the next batch!

1 comment: